I’ve Got Your PTO Right Here

April 20, 2013

uncle sam

My daughter, aka, “The Girl” embarks upon her public school journey in September.  Kindergarten, here she comes!   Earlier this week “The Dude” and I took a field trip to her new school and registered her.  Elementary schools have come a long way since my days as a youngin’, Circa 1500 BC.  Computers in classrooms, foreign language charts, creativity bins, “rooms without walls”…  Fast forward a couple of days and I decide to contact the PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) for her school to inquire about possibly joining in the Fall when The Girl is officially a student.

I’m a former for-profit sugar cookie artisan and current owner of a non-profit that donates themed cookies to charities.  When I contacted the PTO, I envisioned myself donating cookies for various PTO-related events and occasionally attending meetings to help staff PTO-related events.  You know, sort of like a bystander that sometimes participates.  With these thoughts in mind, I filled out the PTO contact form and casually mentioned that I’m a photographer, have tech experience, am a former event planner and fundraiser.  No big deal.  Just thought I’d put that out there so they could place me where they see fit.  Play to your strengths and all that good stuff.

A couple of hours later I received not one, but two emails from current PTO board members letting me know that there were several board positions available (President, VP, Volunteer Coordinator, etc…) and would I be interested in filling any of the positions as well as being part of the Yearbook Committee.  Whoa.  In my magnificent mind, I went from being a grassroots campaigner to the Barack Obama of the PTO.  If I chose “President”, would I have my own Oval Office in a corner of the school library?  Would I have a security team surrounding me at every PTO meeting to ward off  perturbed parents and staff who didn’t agree with my agenda?  The list of possibilities had both my mind and heart racing.  It was gonna be awesome.

After I drifted back down to Earth I realized that I really didn’t care how I was involved, I just want to be involved in any organization that might affect The Girl’s elementary school experience.  I’ve never been involved in any school-related org, as a parent, but I think I’ve found my calling.  I’m going to grab the bull by the horns and throw my hat in the ring for President.  Go big or go home, right?  If not President, maybe Vice President because Joe Biden sure looks like he’s always having fun while President Obama’s hair gets whiter and whiter from the stress of the presidency.  vote

Yeah Write, I’m back!  While this post isn’t for the Yeah Write weekly challenge.  It’s for their weekend writing series.    I can get with moonshine (born and raised in Virginia!) and I’m proudly submitting this post for Yeah write’s Weekend Moonshine Grid.  There’s something about moonshine and writing that makes me feel all happy inside.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to I’ve Got Your PTO Right Here

1. zoe
    April 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm

THis is so pertinent today…I cant wait to see the follow up. You will let us know right? I was asked to join our library board as VP today. THe position goes to president in 12 months. I dont know if Im going to do it. TIme. old ladies. attitude…I cant wait to see how this works out for you! Im also fascinated by the cookie venture!

• April 21, 2013 at 3:20 am

It’s interesting because I began filling out the nomination forms for the various positions and noticed that for the President position, you have to be an active member for at least a year, yet, the current board offered it as an option. I’m taking it as a sign that I should select the VP position or the Volunteer Coordinator just to get a feel for this whole PTO thing and work my way up…if I remain interested in a year.

I’m not sure what you can do, timewise to manage the VP Library Board position but, I personally wouldn’t worry about the old ladies! If they’re a roadblock between fresher ideas and a more efficient library system for your kid(s), take ‘em on! Your kid(s) will thank you in the long run. We can be VP buddies in our fictional VP private jets. ;-)

• zoe
        April 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I want my vp private jet to be like wonder woman’s all Invisible! My kid is way past the age…hes 24 and married but there are a ton of other kiddos to think about too. I have to see what my schedule looks like … I think youre smart to think of vp that way you have clout when you go for the take over!

2. Bee
    April 21, 2013 at 12:39 am

Wow! Good luck!!!

3. April 21, 2013 at 12:47 am

I applaud you for be willing to jump in with both feet. I didn’t fill out one of those info sheets for my son’s preschool PTO because I can’t make it to the meetings. I was afraid if I showed a little bit of interest, then I would end up accidentally volunteering for lots of stuff. I try to do my part by donating supplies to his teacher and visiting when I can. I do wish I had more of a chance to interact with other parents, though. Good luck!

• April 21, 2013 at 3:29 am

Thank you!!

Supply donations and volunteering are a huge help to teachers! I’m sure any amount of participation from a parent is much appreciated.

4. April 21, 2013 at 1:36 am

Sounds like they got you good! Really though, my son started K this year, and I signed up to do this and that, and I soon learned that it’s a LOT of work! I am in awe of the people who take on the big jobs, and I’m very happy to be a support person. Good luck. And make sure to have fun.

5. April 21, 2013 at 3:42 am

I’m usually pretty good at “rallying the troops” and getting people on board to help with various events and causes, so, I’m hoping the same will be true for the PTO. So much of it is dependent on effective communication and efficient delegation. My 10+ years of working in the legal field have also taught me that there’s almost always a loophole for any situation. ;-) Crossing my fingers!